Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Feliz Dia de Muertos

This week's topic for Illustration Friday is Scary.
So my illustration for this topic has to do with the celebration of the Dia de Muertos which takes place on the 1st and 2nd of November in Mexico. A few days before those dates most Mexican households will set up an offering (called "ofrenda") to their beloved departed. The offering has to include the following items: water, bread, salt, fruit, candles, photos of the people who have passed and some religious images. It can be big or small and we cut paper in little colorful squares to decorate the area. We also include sugar skulls for decoration. There are also a kind of orange marigold (called Cempazuchitl). Soooo.... this year in France I don't have much space to set up a large offering, but each year I do put my offering as it is important to me to remember the people I love. My personal touch includes a shot of tequila and a baguette (no Mexican bread in the surrounding areas... LOL!).
Since you cannot find any sugar skulls around, last year I drew the ones that appear in my offering, but if I was back home I could get some really nice ones, and instead of Cempazuchilt flowers I put some dry lavender, very typical of this region. One does the best with the materials at hand. N'est ce pas?

2 comments:

  1. Nice illustration - great details! And I love that your personal touch includes a baguette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, these happy skeletons, specially the dog. Bit of folklore, and such great colors! The pencils are giving it a certain softness.

    ReplyDelete