Sunday, October 9, 2011

My first Mac

Back in the fall of 1993 I was a grad student at the University of Oregon and I was preparing my comps for Art History. I thought that having a computer would make it easier to write the term papers, so I applied for a loan and bought myself a mac Classic. 18 years later I am living in France, my life has turned out as I would have never expected it and I am currently working on my illustration portfolio and typing this post in the latest desktop iMac. But this post is not really about the kind of Macs that I have owned over the years, it is about how Apple products have entered our lives and have been witnesses to all sorts of changes in technology, but also in the lives of their users. I was saddened to hear that Steve Jobs passed on Wednesday and even though I didn't know him personally I felt kind of odd knowing that he was not going to be around any longer... 18 years ago, there was no internet, no blogging and no iPhones, iPods or iPads. If you wanted to hear from someone you called them on their home phone or wrote them letters. If you wanted to do research, you had to write to other libraries to borrow the books or you had to travel to the sights in person before being able to even look at one work of art. Now things are so different and it is in part to the products Apple created and Steve Jobs supervised that I can actually see in real time if someone has looked at this post. Life is magical, more magical that all the technologic gizmos put together... and yet, it is quite nice to be able to have these high-tec objects around. So here is to Steve Jobs and to my first Mac. The king is dead, Long live the king!

No comments:

Post a Comment